Closing date: 1pm 1 August 2019
About the project
Health Consumers Queensland is offering consumers and carers the opportunity to facilitate consultation with their local community for the Future of healthcare in Queensland project.
The Department of Health is currently collaborating with the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation’s (CSIRO) to undertake the Future of healthcare in Queensland project. This is an exciting project that will help shape a view about what healthcare could look like in the future, out to the year 2040. The project is based on CSIRO’s own research methods and talking with a wide group of people across Queensland.
This is a unique opportunity for health consumers and carers to lead consultation and ensure the voice and vision of the wider community is incorporated into the project outcomes.
About Kitchen Table Discussions
Kitchen Table Discussions are community engagement sessions led by local people for local people. They allow individuals and small groups to participate in discussions at a time of day, and in a place, that suits them. The discussions enable health consumers, carers and community members who do not ordinarily participate in healthcare consultation to have their say in a safe and supportive environment.
Each Kitchen Table Discussion will be led by a Consumer Host with a strong community network to invite them to a discussion in a location of their choosing. The Host guides the discussion with a set of questions provided to them, and reports back the outcomes to Health Consumers Queensland.
Role of the Discussion Host
As the host, your role will be to plan, coordinate and facilitate a once-only 90 minute discussion with up to 10 community members. This includes:
- Inviting up to 10 participants who would be interested in being part of the discussion on this important subject. They will be your local community connections (ideally, people who do not normally have their voice heard in healthcare).
- Choosing a venue, time and date between 6th and 22nd August that works for your participants.
- Host the session.
- Complete and provide a feedback report to Health Consumers Queensland by 23rd August.
To support you with this, you will receive:
- Training via a Zoom video conference call. Zoom is free to download.
- A comprehensive Discussion Host Guide.
- Questions to ask participants during the discussions, agenda and report template.
- Support from Health Consumers Queensland to ensure you have a successful session.
Who are we looking for as Consumer or Carer Hosts?
We would like our hosts to have an interest in the future of healthcare in Queensland and who have strong community connections. We are also interested in representing the views of a range of consumers who may not typically have a say in healthcare. To achieve this, we are particularly looking for hosts who are consumers and/or carers and can demonstrate they have strong links with the following communities:
- Rural and remote
- Younger people
- Older people (65+)
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people (inc older Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander older people)
- Cultural and linguistically diverse groups
- Mental health/suicide
- Mothers (maternal health)
- Men’s health
- People who have dual caring responsibilities (a living parent/s and children under 18 both to whom they provide care responsibilities)
Remuneration and Support
Hosts – you will be remunerated at Health Consumers Queensland’s day meeting rate of $374. You will also be reimbursed up to $100 to cover catering and venue costs for your session (on return of receipts).
Participants – Health Consumers Queensland will provide a $60 gift voucher for each Kitchen Table Discussion participant for their time.
How to apply
Please complete the application form and return it to email@example.com by 1.00pm on 1st August 2019.
For assistance completing this application please contact Health Consumers Queensland via firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone on 07 3012 9090.
For queries relating to this opportunity, please email Anne Curtis, Engagement Consultant – Specific Projects, Health Consumers Queensland at email@example.com