Closing date: Close of business Friday, 8 March 2019
Health Consumers Queensland together with COTA Queensland, Palliative Care Queensland and Carers Queensland are partnering with Queensland Health to hear directly from consumers and carers who have experience of ageing, end-of-life care and dying.
The ‘Kitchen Table Discussions’ are an opportunity for consumers and carers to take the lead and facilitate consultation on this important subject in their own local community.
The discussions will precede a series of community consultation events, which include Focus Groups that will be held in communities throughout Queensland over the next few months.
The information gathered at these events will help inform Health Consumers Queensland, COTA Queensland, Palliative Care Queensland and Carers Queensland’s submission to the Queensland Parliament Inquiry into aged care, palliative care and end of life. It will also be collated into a report to inform Queensland Health committees and projects currently working in the area of frail, aged, palliative care and end-of-life care.
About Kitchen Table Discussions
Kitchen Table Discussions are community engagement sessions led by local people for local people. They allow individuals and small groups to participate in discussions at a time of day, and in a place, that suits them. The discussions enable health consumers, carers and family members who do not ordinarily participate in healthcare consultation to have their say in a safe and supportive environment.
Each Kitchen Table Discussion will be led by a Consumer or Carer Host who can invite members of their family, friends and community to a discussion in a location of their choice. The Host guides the discussion with a suite of questions developed by the project coordinators, and reports back the outcomes of these discussions afterwards.
Role of the Discussion Host
As the host, your role will be to plan, coordinate and facilitate a once-off, two-hour discussion with up to 10 people. This includes:
- Inviting up to 10 participants who would be interested in being part of the discussion on this important subject. They can include family members, friends, neighbours and your local community connections to attend the discussion (ideally, people who do not normally have their voice heard in healthcare should be invited to attend).
- Choosing a venue, time and date between 14th and 24th March that works for your participants (must be within 2 weeks of receiving training on how to be a Host).
- Host the session.
- Complete and provide a feedback report to Health Consumers Queensland by 25th March.
To support you with this, you will receive:
- Training via a Zoom conference call.
- A comprehensive Discussion Host Guide.
- A short list of questions to ask participants during the discussions.
- Support from Health Consumers Queensland to ensure you have a successful event.
Who are we looking for as Consumer and Carer Hosts?
We would like our hosts to have connections with people experiencing ageing, end-of-life care and dying in Queensland. We are also interested in representing the views of a range of consumers who may not typically have a say in healthcare. To achieve this, we are particularly looking for hosts who are consumers and/or carers from (or have strong links with) the following communities:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Queenslanders
- People from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds
- People living in rural and remote locations in Queensland
- People living with complex and chronic life-limiting conditions
- Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex, queer (LGBTIQ+) people
- Hard to reach, travel disadvantaged and people with lower levels of health literacy
Consumer and Carer Hosts – you will be remunerated at Health Consumers Queensland’s daily rate of $374. You will also be reimbursed up to $100 to cover catering and venue costs for your session.
Participants – Health Consumers Queensland will provide a $60 gift voucher for each Kitchen Table Discussion participant.
How To Apply
Please complete this Expression of Interest and return it to email@example.com by 8th March 2019. For assistance completing this Expression of Interest please contact Michael Taylor via Michael.firstname.lastname@example.org,or by phone on 07 3012 9090.
For queries relating to this opportunity, please email Anne Curtis, Engagement Consultant, Health Consumers Queensland at email@example.com.